Veterans who have served in the military can be buried in a national cemetery, depending on their illegibility and under honorable conditions. All veterans are entitled to a tot and marker only in a national cemetery. They will receive military honors, and the next of kin will receive a burial flag to memorialize.

When a loved one has passed, your funeral professional will complete the necessary paper work involved for burial. The family will need to furnish a copy of the veterans discharge, which is referred to as the DD 214 form. There will be
no charges for opening or closing the grave, a liner, or setting the marker in a national cemetery. lf a burial is not in a national cemetery, there is a $300 interment allowance. A marker is available at no charge, inscription must
include name, branch of service, year of birth, year of death ­in this order and may include emblem of belief, rank and decorations earned. The private cemetery will probably have a setting fee.

A spouse of an eligible veteran ls entitled to burial in a national cemetery even if the veteran is not buried there.

A spouse who remarries a non veteran may claim burial rights from prior marriage.

Burial of dependent children is limited to unmarried children under 21 years of age, or under 23 years of age if a student at an approved educational institution. Unmarried adult children who become physicality or mentally disabled and incapable of self-support before age 21, or age 23 if a full time student, also are eligible for burial.

There are a number of others eligible for veteran's burial benefits lf the person has provided military-related service. The list is quite long and includes civilians who were involved with military efforts during war-time. Members of the National Guard and Reserves with 20 years of service or active duty of service are eligible. Some Public Health Service are eligible. You should inquire if you believe you might be entitled to such benefits. Persons not eligible are divorced spouses, adult children, parents, siblings and others even if they are dependents. Those with a dishonorable discharge, those convicted of subversive activities and capital crimes.

7733 Natural Bridge Road | Normandy, MO 63121 | 314-381-6900

Caring For Families Since 1979